“ESCAPE THE HURRYING WORLD – The loveliest spot that man hath ever found…”
Escape to the Lake District, England – a UNESCO World Heritage site – and you’ll find it’s easy to share William Wordsworth’s delight at the area. The vale of Grasmere, right in the heart of the Lake District, is surrounded by magnificent mountains and the shimmering waters of Grasmere lake. From the hosts of golden daffodils in spring to the snow-capped stillness of winter, it’s truly magical at any time of year. The Wordsworth Hotel, nestled within this picturesque village, is no less of a jewel. The Earl of Cadogan’s former shooting lodge, transformed into a country house hotel, is set within beautiful grounds and offers the finest cuisine and spa pampering.
HAVING PLAYED HOST TO European royalty, American presidents and a string of celebrities, the Wordsworth Hotel has, throughout its long history, been well known for its warmth and hospitality. And it’s this truly special atmosphere that continues to capture the hearts of guests today. A country house hotel with a home from home ambience, 38 individually designed bedrooms and suites, award-winning dining and a luxurious organic spa – the perfect ingredients for an indulgent stay in the majestic Lake District.
THE PERFECT Ingredients for an indulgent stay in the majestic Lake District.
Pictures of The Wordsworth Hotel & SPA
BOASTING SOME OF Britain’s Finest Scenery and most majestic views, it’s clear to see why so many succumb to the charms of the Lake District – and why it was recently awarded UNESCO World Heritage status. With so many shimmering lakes, lush green valleys, ancient woodlands and mighty fells to explore it’s a perfect place to get out and experience the great outdoors, whatever the weather throws your way.
Here’s our list of must-do activities at Grasmere
- DOVE Cottage & Wordsworth Museum: Once home to William Wordsworth, arguably the most famous of the many poets who have been so inspired by the beauty of the Lake District. His first family cottage and the museum next door is now a much-visited attraction for those seeking to find out more about his everyday life and the works written at the cottage. You can also attend a wide programme of events and exhibitions during the year.
- Dove Cottage, Grasmere, LA22 9SH, UK. Tel. +44(0)15394 35544.
- SARAH NELSON’S Gingerbread: Tucked between The Wordsworth Hotel and St Oswald’s Church sits the Old Grasmere School, now the home Grasmere Gingerbread®. It’s no exaggeration to say that people flock to sample the world-famous gingerbread and no visit to Grasmere would be complete without a stop here.
- Church Cottage, Grasmere, LA22 9SW, UK.
- ST OSWALD’S Church: The 13th century church in Grasmere is now one of the most visited shrines in the world thanks to its associations with the poet William Wordsworth who, together with his wife Mary, is buried here. The Wordsworth Daffodil memorial garden next door is a little haven of calm and glorious when in bloom.
- Church Stile, Grasmere, LA22 9SW, UK.
- HEATON Cooper Studio: Established by the landscape painter Alfred Heaton Cooper in 1905. The present Grasmere studio was built by his son William Heaton Cooper in 1938. The gallery is home to the work of the Heaton Cooper artistic dynasty whose paintings and books have influenced the landscape view of the Lake District for generations. There’s a varied programme of events running throughout the year.
- Grasmere, LA22 9SX, UK.